Friday 3 July 2015

Sleep deprivation and method writing.

I have decided to be a method writer. I want to experience what my characters feel (not everything or all the time). Since I seem to be struggling with description (in all fairness my vivid imagination is to blame here – I forget that just because in my mind the scene is clear, it doesn’t mean that everyone can perceive what I see). I never liked adjectives and pages full of descriptions.
So since we have method actors, and I do not mean to the mainstream ones, I want to take my first steps towards the start of my career as a method writer. And that is sleep deprivation. And to avoid any embarrassing accidents while I am sleep deprived (I am blunt enough when I have my usual 6 to 8 hours of sleep, food and well, for the sake of me let’s call it vino), I should avoid contact with the outside world – and by that I mean the one outside my mind – and try my experiment. So phone off (I called my parents to tell them I would be busy this weekend with some writing so we will speak on Monday, called my friends to tell them I will be AWOL – my social life has been dull since this writing business happened again), cancelled all of my yogic plans, purchased several bottles of, well you know, Bible Juice. So I am ready to deprive myself of sleep for the weekend. It’s Friday evening, and I need to make sure that no one will need me, as I am a well-known five-letter word that describes a female dog.
And since I need this to be realistic I have decided to eat according to how my character eats, so the idea to turn my phone off is a good one since no food and sleep means that I will without a doubt turn from a crying mess (oh the adventures of being me) to a laughing hyena (Cockfosters and the underground trip I shall never forget) to a sad little girl. I realised that I might, just might offer too many details about myself. It does make me look like a temperamental crazy person, but in my defence I have not yet had a meltdown in which I hit my laptop repeatedly with a baseball bat because I could not write. I did however, due to lack of said baseball bat (I have one that daddy made for me, but it’s in Romania, at a safe distance from me.) imagined how great one of those meltdowns would look like outside my mind. And might I add that in that particular moment all of my basic needs were satisfied. Or how I could just pan-hit my phone when the bastard started to ring in the exact moment I started the process of staring at the blank document on my Mac (again I try to imagine how funny would it look if I would grab a pan and pretend to play baseball with my phone).  I have to say I don’t have any anger issues, just a vivid imagination, and a life changing decision that I made (I have choose to give up smoking).
So now that it’s time to go and try my method writing, I will let you be and come back with my notes on Monday. I hope I will not sleep the entire next week because I decided to "method" my writing.



I'm not mad! I'm just crazy...

No comments:

Post a Comment