Sunday 12 July 2015

Competitive by proximity...

I have always been a competitive person, but more so when I did not have to compete. And next to my competitiveness put my proud nature as a Romanian (that’s the fault of the men in my family; they decided I should know Romania's history and the things I should be proud off) and you get the most annoying person to watch sporting events (or for that any kind of events) when someone I admire competes.
Yesterday, for example, was the Gentleman’s Doubles Final at Wimbledon. And for whoever watched the tennis activities, a Romanian was in the final with his Dutch partner. It's not that I push the Romanian, but since we share the same mother-nation, I have a certain affinity towards him.
I cannot for the love of what’s high and mighty watch a full tennis match, or any form of competitive programs, as I get quite anxious. I like to call it competitive by proximity. The explanation is that as I am close to the TV, then the person on TV should win this. You would think over five years of yoga would have thought me to keep my competitive nature in check. But no, keeping my emotions in check is not my strong suit. That’s why I don’t play poker (well that, and I think shoes are a better investment than a gambling addiction).
In the end, I did spend the entire match flicking between the tennis and this criminal show I have been watching for research purposes (and I mean the show I watch to feel proud when I discover in almost every episode who the murderer is). That’s one of the reasons I enjoy watching sporting events alone. Or maybe with my dad since he does not even blink when he hears his little girl swearing worse that a sailor.  Now that Wimbledon is finished (and what a weekend it was) I have no excuses to avoid writing.

So I have spent an entire day working on my novel. Especially after playing Ping-Pong with my television and doing "research" yesterday. And I can tell everyone expecting my first draft that it should be ready in this lifetime. I hope.

                    How can I watch this? How?...

No comments:

Post a Comment